16 October 2010

Just call!

Day 15: Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it.

My family! Sometimes I think I can live without them. Well mostly without talking to them frequently, but really I can’t! There are times that I don’t call them as often as I should, and those times are more often than not. L I’ve noticed that things go differently if I don’t talk to my mom at least once a week. I become more anxious and wait around for her to call. When really I should just call them. Several years ago I moved back to Big Island by myself and my family stayed on Oahu. I made the move without telling anyone in advance. I told my parents just before I was leaving and we had a fight and for the first time in my life they said they were disappointed. That is THE worst! It’s like a knife to the heart and twisted. Ugh! I stayed on Big Island for about nine months and then moved back home because my sister and her family were going to move to Virginia. During those nine months, my relationship with my parents wasn’t the best. We didn’t talk very much for quite a while. It was pretty miserable for me but I didn’t ever let them know. And any conversations we had were short. Luckily, my parents love me no matter how dumb I am and no matter how much I take them for granted. Why is it that sometimes we forget how awesome something is until we realize it isn’t around as much anymore? That’s what it’s like when I don’t talk to my mom, often. I mean, I KNOW she’s awesome but sometimes I worry that she’ll ask me certain things that I don’t want to talk about. When it reality, there isn’t anything like that right now in my life. I always have so much fun talking to my mom. We catch up, we joke around, and we connect spiritually. She is such a great example to me and I hope to be as much like her as I can be. I love my dad, my little brother, and my big sister, too but I am the closest with my mom.

Today’s song is a family favorite. It’s a Hawaiian song called “Kaula Ili.” My Papa used to sing this one all the time when I was little. He passed away before I turned 5 years old, but I remember this was one of the songs he sang. I was going to just put the words up but the translation isn’t as beautiful as the song itself. Instead, I’m just adding the video. I hope you guys like it! Be strong, be happy, and find the joy in your life!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! Makes me homesick. PS--This song is about a hanging. Did you know that??? I always thought it was about ranching. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I thought it was about ranching, too. How come Hawaiian songs are about weird things but sound so beautiful? Who sings about a hanging? Oh wait, Hawaiians! Weirdos. :)

    ReplyDelete