22 June 2012

Grandpa, Tell Me 'Bout the Good Ol' Days

Today’s song was semi easy. I recently watched “The Descendants.” It’s a movie based on a book written by Kaui Hart Hemmings. It takes place in Hawaii and is a pretty decent movie. I enjoyed seeing the locations they used in the movie and absolutely LOVED the soundtrack. It’s mostly old Hawaiian songs. There were a few songs played that reminded me of my Papa Kahumoku. He passed away just before I turned five years-old and I miss him every day. My mom, along with other family members, always tells me that I was Papa’s favorite. I was his “opihi.” J For those that don’t know, opihi are limpets or sea snails that are found clinging/stuck to rocks. Here’s a cool little story on opihi.


Day 26 – A song that reminds you of someone


Kaula `Ili- Sonny Chillingworth


I chose this song because my Papa used to sing this song. In fact, this is one of a few songs that I remember him singing quite often. He was in a group for a while and he would always be singing at home. He would also sing songs with my Gammy. She didn’t sing as well as Papa did, but looking back, I love that he loved her so much that he would constantly sing to and with her. My papa has been an inspiration to me in so many ways. I looked up to him and still do. Although I didn’t have as much time with him, I treasure every memory that I still have of him. I’m such a sap… I’m tearing up while I write this. Oh gosh. The video that I hyperlinked is of my Uncle George Kahumoku Jr. He is my Papa’s nephew. I even cried watching the video. Apparently this song REALLY reminds me of someone. J


Well, before I turn into blubbering fool… I miss you Papa! I can’t wait to see you again. To all my Bloggies out there… Be strong, be happy, and find the joy in your life!

1 comment: